Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Trouble with Patience

Liza had a relatively good day. I asked her this afternoon what her pain level was, and she said a 4 (out of 10). That's pretty good..."unless you're the one with the 4," a friend told me today. So again, she is making slow progress. Although she is still a bit unnerved by the incision, I think the scar on her neck is almost invisible. Over time I doubt if anyone will be able to tell that it is there. Liza may not even be able to feel it by touch, the incision is so tight. But again, she doesn't like it when I say that. I probably wouldn't either if it were my head.

The trouble with a bit of relief from pain is that you think you can do more. Well, after washing a few dishes or bending over to pick up toys, the trouble catches up. Liza's pain level is communicating to her through her level of activity. And being the hard-working, active, mom and wife that she is, it has been difficult to slow...down.... It's only been two weeks and one day since the operation, but it feels much longer. She still has a long way to go to full recovery, but we are confident, yet hopeful, that she will get there. We have another doctor's visit next week Friday and a follow-up MRI to check the progress of the surgery site about a month out.

In the meantime, keep praying for Liza as you think of her and I'll keep filling you in on her progress. You may also think and pray for my little Izzy. I had to take her to the doctor this morning. She had croup with a dry wheezy cough and the sniffles. We're giving her lots of fluids, cranking up the humidity in her room, and treating symptoms with lots of love and Dimetapp. Andrew is awesome and loving school and riding his bike. I'm still here too. Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers. You are treasures to us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, 4 SOUNDS good to us. Liza, I understand the temptation to tidy and arrange your nest but the little chickens need you more than they need a clean floor. That latest photo is lovely. I have to make myself understand that Izzy is a little girl now, not a baby. I wish I could see them both. Give them a kiss please, from Great Aunty Janine