Friday, October 5, 2007

Another Song of Hope and Trust

A friend who commented on this blog site reminded me of Psalm 91. It's powerful and comforting when read from a dark and scary place. Maybe you can find comfort there for your particular trial - we're not so myopic to think that Liza's struggle is the only one. Or perhaps you can read through it and pray it over Liza. She has been struggling with fear and anxiety as the day approaches. Yesterday she felt really good until about 6PM and then it all went downhill fast. She is convinced that God is communicating to her through her pain. She told me this morning that she thinks that this surgery path is the one God has planned for her. I think we both, especially Liza, have some great things to learn through this. I am still praying that her personal trust and faith deepen tremendously in this time. After the operation is when it will get even harder.

But back to Psalm 91. I recently had a homework assignment in my Hebrew class to study most of the passages that mention God's protective wings. It is a beautiful picture, especially rich in the Psalms, of God's protection from enemies (real human or metaphorical), deliverance, provision, and safety or refuge. Psalm 91 has a gorgeous entry:

For it is He who delivers you from the snare of the trapper
and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with His pinions (feathers),
And under His wings you may seek refuge;
His faithfulness is a shield and a bulwark.

In God's providence, the homework assignment had immediate relevance. Close to God's side and directly in His attentive gaze is a good place to be.

By the way, we finally heard back this morning from the finance people at the hospital and I've been on the phone quite a bit with our insurance agent as a liason. The news is much much better than I expected. The best case scenario is playing out it would seem. Our chosen hospital and surgeon are both in our insurance network. So thank you for your prayers and thoughts concerning finances. Of course, if we had to pay $10 million, we would, and wouldn't give it a second thought. But it would seem that the Lord has been favorable to us even here.

4 comments:

Janine C said...

Dear Scot and Liza... .I'm such a visual person, God often talks to me in pictures. When he gave me the Psalm for Liza - which she says she's also had from God, He showed me the dark valley. I saw Liza walking down the path, into the valley. The path isn't too narrow, it's wide enough for Jesus to walk alongside. He is walking with Liza and he has one arm around her shoulders, firmly.. like you do when you are helping and guiding someone. He is very close to her and each of her steps is carefully planned. I'm sure he'll pick her up and carry her over any rough patches.
Bless you both with love.

Tami said...

Scot and Liza,
I just found out about Liza's illness. Know that you and your family are in my prayers. Nothing is too large for our God to handle. Continue to rely on HIM.
Tami Laugharn

faith girl kimber said...

Hi there Scot... of course I called you little Scot... this is Kim, your mother and Aunt Teri's friend.... (and if you can't remember that, we are all in trouble) Liza is on our prayer list at our church here in NB and a couple of others here that my friends go to. I will continue to pray for you all. Tell Liza I send my love and support, and she has a private nurse if needed.....
kim

Anonymous said...

Marianna Jackson & Marti Phillips of Peru, Indiana will pray for you and the family. Marianna suffers from Huntington's Disease, just turned 23 yesterday. Marti is Tara & Brad Edwards mom, Audrey's grandma. Your blog is an inspiration to us!