Sunday, October 21, 2007

Home Makeover connection

First of all, Liza had a relatively good day. She stayed home from church this morning to sleep but found it difficult until just before we all got home. Everyone did take a good nap though and then the kids and my family played outside for a while. Liza did catch a good nap and is going to bed for the night right now. Her pain has been manageable today and she was able to enjoy the kids and her side of the family that visited tonight. Baby Zander, Liza's new nephew, has a lovely way of brightening her day. Her hair is growing rapidly and the incision on the back of her head is looking much better, in my opinion. The strangest thing lately is a shooting pain that comes when she walks on her heels, we postulate it sends a shock pressure up her legs and into her spine. It's not too bad though - she just walks on the balls of her feet, which she is very used to doing - demi-point. Overall I would say that Liza is encouraged and making slow (painful) progress.

Oddly enough, tonight as we gathered with the Staines family to celebrate Jacob's birthday, we turn on one of our favorite shows, Extreme Makeover Home Edition, and what do we see? The family that was getting the makeover, the Carter's, was struggling through their own Arnold-Chiari malformations. I didn't watch it all, but they had three daughters and I believe two of them, if not all three, had already gone through surgeries, and had more to go. They live in Wyoming so don't have access to the superb medical facilities that we have in Houston, but their story was touching, sobering, and way too close to home. The pictures they showed of scars and hospital beds left us all a little speechless as we watched. We think it's good that more people are becoming aware of this condition, which means more doctors and more hospitals will come up to speed on properly treating it.

So, mom Pollok is back at home now, which leaves just us four. While we really hated to see her go (she was absolutely brilliant these past two weeks), we are a bit excited to at least try out normal life around here. But I have to admit we've already made some calls for pinch hitters in case we need to tap out. The help and support that our friends and church family have shown us in this time has been beyond what I ever dreamed. It is a truly beautiful thing to see it all happen (and humbling on the receiving end).

We also have some great news about the benefit concert for Liza - November 9 at The Woodlands United Methodist Church. Our new and great friend Larry Dalton, a world renown concert pianist, will be coming to perform at the concert. He is a wonderful man and we're so happy that his schedule allowed him time to join us. A dance company that Liza used to be a part of, Dance Ad Deum, is also trying to work their schedule out to be there, and things might be looking better. But whatever happens, Liza's professional company, Ballet Excelsior, will be there performing some brand-new choreography that Liza put together and created before the operation. All who attend will be amazed at the talent of my gorgeous wife and the dancers she has assembled in her company. Although I will unfortunately be out of town, Liza hopes to come and see many of you there (I will be speaking in California, a commitment I made long before this whole thing happened).

Again, many blessings and many thanks for all you have done and are doing for my lovely wife and my family (and me). We love you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just foundout about everything and the first thing I did was pray. I read the whole entire blog and it is just so amazing that ya'll never lost faith and never backed down. It is just an amazing testemony to what God can do. On myspace I change my quote every couple weeks but the one I have now is going to stay for a long time... "Overwhelm: To present with an excessive amount ... Lord overwhelm me with your presence your peace your love your hope" I really think God did that for your wonderful family. I wish ya'll didn't have to go through all this but I think God new Liza could handle this better than another women so he used her to minister to everyone watching. I can't even imagine what it would have been like if God was not there walking ya'll through this. He amazes me more and more everyday and I know ya'll are feeling the same way...

§ Lydia Fleming §

John Alexander said...

Saw the Extreme Makeover last night. Immediately thought I'd call you, but I resisted the urge, thinking it better just to pray for you guys. An aside, I listened to a talk Scot gave at Breakaway a few weeks ago on Psalm 28, moved me. I don't know how important its been for me to actually communicate with God. The talking showerhead analogy was on point, I can't figure out what the interaction should look like most days. I think I'm being prompted to grow in my urgings to pray for you daily. Mental toughness coupled with spiritual humbleness has been a difficult mix for me. I'm too often stubbornly addicted to the former while neglecting the latter. I love you guys, and will continue to pray.

John

Anonymous said...

get well soon

Janine C said...

Be encouraged, Scot and Liza, we are still praying for you. Liza Mrs Higgi asked after you today at school - you remember her, she sends you her best wishes, as do many of my friends that you have never heard of. I hope the fundraiser in Nov goes well and that you are able to enjoy some of it. Love Janine

Anonymous said...

That so cool! I was watching that too, and I was thinking about you. I am so thankful to God that you had a great doctor! I hope that you get enough rest!! We all MISS you at dance. I am praying for you.

Psalm 37:3-4
"Trust in the Lord, and do good; Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness. Delight yourself also in the Lord, AND HE SHALL GIVE YOU THE DESIRES OF YOUR HEART."

I love you!!
Love, Lauren O.