Saturday, December 1, 2007

Busy Weekend

Liza actually had planned to go to the studio again yesterday but thankfully decided to try to rest. I'm not sure that she accomplished her goal though. The kids had the meltdown of all meltdowns late last night, as I was away at school of course. Liza and her mum had to try to handle two hysterical kids while they were both running on fumes.

This morning we both arose early, I back to a full day of school, and Liza to a local high school to prepare her girls for their involvement in a fundraiser. Then tonight, she will do the same for an evangelistic Christmas ministry in Spring (a town just south of us). Izzy and Andrew are excited to go and see the camels. Izzy wants to pet them. Yeah, we'll see about that. She talks a big talk. She LOVES animals...but from a distance. Tomorrow, another Sunday School teaching opportunity. We've been going through the book of Ruth. I'm loving it.

I've also been thinking about what I have discovered is one of the most prevalent emotions or dispositions of our age; one that I am intimately associated with. Exhaustion. I don't think there is a more popular answer in our home to the question "how are you?" I'm sure you relate - especially if you're an American, but probably just because you're a human. For some reason we are tempted to measure the quality of our day by the amount of things we get done. Exhaustion then becomes like an award at the end of a "good" day. The Bible would agree...sometimes. To be tired at the end of a hard day's work is a good thing. But busy-ness is not always good. Remember Jesus' words, "Martha, Martha..." And although I hate it, I feel extremely busy. Most of us do.

The beautiful side of busy-ness though, is the opportunity it affords us to depend and rely on God. In the midst of our running and panting and trying and hurrying and working, we MUST become intimately acquainted with the strength, peace, hope, and invigorating Spirit that only God provides. Liza and I have unexpectedly bumped up against this strength and peace. I pray and hope that we become addicted to it more than we become addicted to busy-ness. I love the way God enjoys displaying His strength in our weakness. His peace in our busy-ness. His calm in our storm.

No comments: